Changing Dashpads on an Early TR4

To: "Bob Danielson" <75trsix@snet.net>
Subject: Changing Dashpads on an Early TR4
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 08:32:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob,

Thanks to you and Brad Kahler, Robert Carley for the reply and advice.

Everything is out of the car... no dash, gauges and pads removed, no
windscreen.   I don't have any particular problems with getting it all back
together except for normal memory loss.  My area of concern is the fitting
and gluing of the bottom left and right crash pads, the top pad seems
fairly straight forward.  I will check out your website for details

My bottom left and right crash pad replacements from TRF have a lip on them
that is designed to lay on the metal dash surface so it can go under a wood
dash piece for TR4/4A/250/6.  Since I am doing the 1962 TR4 white metal
dash thing...  I will need to trim, fold and glue this lip so it wraps
around and behind the pad leaving a clean rolled edge.  Do I have to heat
the cover to bend it without cracking it?  Can I glue onto the foam without
destroying it?

Or did TRF sent me the wrong stuff.... when I ordered last fall they were
low on parts.  Rather than hack these parts up... is there a version of
these pads that has the original TR4 design with the covering formed all
the way around.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com