Re: Steering Column Rebuild

To: "Bud Rolofson" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>
Subject: Re: Steering Column Rebuild
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:56:22 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bud,

I don't want to make more of it than it is..... but here is some recent
experience.

Obviously you have to remove the steering wheel and steering column from
the car.   No secrets here with the workshop manual or the Haynes book.
Just keep all the parts in plastic sandwich bags and clearly labeled.

There are 2 sources of play... the column bushings for the shaft to ride in
and the column mounting to the car under-dash.  My car was reassembled at
some point without all the various steering column felt pieces and spring
clips that are shown in the parts diagram.

You should remove the steering shaft from the front.... the side cups that
hold the turn signal switch and the horn contact ring that are in the
throat of the column.   You need to be able to get access to the rubber
mounted bushings.

The trick is to drill or cut off the little round rubber nubs that position
the bushing in the tube.  My bushings would not budge with gentle force and
soapy water so I had to use a large diameter dowel to get in from the
drivers end through the first bush and pound out the bottom bush.  I also
ended up getting long needle nose pliers in to cave in the brass ring under
the nylon in the old bearing to "relieve" the tension on the stuck rubber.

Then working from the bottom, pound out the top one.   This a good time to
clean and repaint before re-installing because I bet you scratched it
getting it out or the thing looks pretty sad when you see it out of the
car.

The next part is easy if you lube up the inside of the steel tube with
soapy water and also the bushings.  Carefully line up the rubber nubs on
the new bearing so they will line up with the holes and.... Use a larger
dowel or small piece of trim wood to drift the bottom bush in from the
bottom and the top bush from the top.  Be careful not to damage the nylon
inserts.  If they fall out just carefully re-insert them in place.

Then reassemble the turn signal and covers and I replaced the horn ring
contact assembly because mine was cracked in 3 or 4 places.

Hope this helps

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com