RE: GT6 Chassis and spitfire body

To: "'Brian E. Serra'" <Brian.Serra@ey.com>, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GT6 Chassis and spitfire body
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 08:52:49 -0600
Brian,

You'd have a lot of pain trying to use the '69 frame under a '77 body... the
GT6 frames were basically Spitfire frames (of the same era) with different
radiator mounts at the front end.

What you're looking at is trying to use a Spitfire Mk III frame under a Mk
IV body... and there were major changes to the front bonnet mounting/valence
setup between the III and the IV.  Not impossible to adapt... just wonder if
it's worth the pain?

If the '69 has the rotoflex it'd be possible to graft it onto the '77 frame.
If the '69 is swing axle... it's a bolt up process (but I'd keep the '77
swing spring and longer axles).  The only hitch might be matching axle
ends.. since the universals are the same you can "customize" your later
axles with small flange ends.

I've got both a '69 GT6 (with swing axles) and a few "wink" Mk IV/1500 Spits
around the yard... so I think I'm on firm ground here.  (unlike my yard...

Jim