Re: TR4 rear axle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 rear axle
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 00:45:51 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Susan and John Roper wrote:

> Would appreciate wisdom from more experienced listers.  Is there a
> marking on TR4/4A rear axle housings that reveals the gearset within?
> If so please tell me where to look and how to read it.  Thanks, John

On the TR4 rear axle, look for the serial number stamped on the top of the
flange for the rear cover.  You'll need a skinny head or a mirror if the
axle is in the car!  If the serial number starts with "BT", the ratio is
3.7:1.  If it starts with CT, it's 4.1:1.  Unless, of course, a previous
owner has installed a different ratio in it.

If I remember correctly, on the solid axle TR4-A the serial number is
stamped on top of the forward extension (the pinion housing), but I don't
know if the "BT" versus "CT" still applies.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net