Milage, Falcon Exhaust

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Scott Mackay <Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org>
Subject: Milage, Falcon Exhaust
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 10:41:10 -0500
Scott Mackay writes:

<<<<<<<<<<< Oiginal Message >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, not quite 60, but 30 miles one-way, five days a week (1200
miles/week).
I've been following the bearing thread since I'll have to swap out mains
and
thrust bearings soon, glad to see not much preference in bearing suppliers.

Any other high mileage users out there want to comment on gas mileage?  I'm
getting ~20 mpg on the stock motor and four speed (nominally 70 mph all of
the
way in).  Any one getting better? I could slow down, but don't want to get
run
over!

Also, just swapped in the Falcon ss system (750 miles ago?).  Anyone have a
hard
time with the 'tune' coming out the back?  At a constant 2500 RPM, the dB
levels
in the cabin (top up mostly) are deafening (really, my ears hurt for days
after
~30 minutes!).  I've checked for exhaust leaks; none.  The pipes aren't
rubbing
anyplace.  I'm stumped and have gone to wearing ear plugs.  I'll take any
tips
at this point!

Scott Mackay
Austin, TX
CF 56590

<<<<<<<<<<< End Oiginal Message >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scott,

While I don't drive mine on a regular basis I did drive my TR6
to Hudson and kept a record of the fuel usage.  1600 miles and
I consistantly got 25 - 26 MPG.  However I think I have my carbs
set a little too lean and there are occasional problems.

As for the Falcon exhaust, I agree.  I am quite dissatisfied
with it in that the loud exhaust is just loud and doesn't
sound pleasing at all.  I had a 74 with the Falcon sport exhaust
that is also loud but has a pleasent sound to it.  I think that
the problem is the sheet metal used for the outer casing is too
thin and resonates.  I am thinking of fitting up a standard
muffler to the rest of the system to see what happens.

I've resorted to ear plugs as well.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO
57 TR3 (the wife's car)