Re: plastic tran. cover

To: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: plastic tran. cover
From: Brian Johnson <b.johnson@diamond.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 18:22:50 +0000
Cc: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Yes Alan you are correct - I had an inspection panel on the LHS of my original
fibre
gearbox cover that I used on the new one.  The problem is  that when the O/D
units
get old, the recomended way of setting them with the setting lever does not
always
work. You have to measure the lift on the ball bearing   or do as I did and
drive 25
miles, stopping every so often to make a tiny adjustment on the O/D until it
works.
So -  if the setting lever method does work, then its a good idea to have a
removable
plate in the area of the lever, but if it does not then you can either do as I
did or
have a panel or hole with grommet around the operating valve ball bearing plug
at the
top of the gearbox.
Also the big rubber grommet for gresing the prop shaft bearings can come out as
you
are driving along if you don't drill the hole in the correct place.    The
carpet
usually keeps mine in place !

Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet bjohnson@mmm.com (work) or b.johnson@diamond.co.uk(home)

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733(USA) - CT27216-L (now not L but O ) ex USA
1954  TR2   46 BHX               TS554-O   UK Car
1989  Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 GLI