RE: TRFaq v1.07a

To: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Subject: RE: TRFaq v1.07a
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:29:00 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'The Usual Suspects'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Musson, Carl wrote:

> crawlers come floating through and pick out pages that have been changed
> since the last time they swept the area.   When you look at their trail
> you can see that they are picking up addresses as they go.  So, if I
> link to any external web site from one of my pages it would end up on a
> search engine.  I have a bookmark file that I try to keep updated (it

Another thing to consider:  Many search engines are programmed to query
the "referring page" when you jump to them.  So if you're visiting
"http://www.funky.triumphs.com/"; and then you jump over to
"http://www.altavista.com"; (not sure if altavista does this, but anyway),
then the search engine will add www.funky.triumphs.com to its list of
"places to scope out".  It's hard to be a hole-in-the-wall on the
Internet.

I'm not sure if webcrawlers for spam purposes get their starts from the
search engine indices (here's hoping they don't)-- but if they do, I
apologize if anyone gets spam as a result of my FAQ.

Personally I don't get spam.  My dad does (similar account, different
system).  Perhaps the college is spam proof?

> includes your page) but the only way to access that page is from my
> personal bookmark file on my home system.   I would suggest that to be a
> better way to go.  In fact it is quicker to locate a page because I
> don't have to move through any hierarchy on my pages.

Yes, I encourage people to cut & paste... keep the URL local.  While the
TRFaq may be useful to non-listers, it's aimed squarely at those of us who
are on the list, but didn't keep the messages regarding a common topic...
or those who have just subscribed to the list and want quick answers.

> btw, your efforts on TRFaq's is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  Perhaps I should start asking for money ;-)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm