RE: TR2-4 Piston ring gap specs

To: <JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com>, <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR2-4 Piston ring gap specs
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:48:30 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Jim and Andy,

I am virtually certain it is an error.  Although I erred on my statement
too; 0.003 to 0.010 is correct, Jim.

The general rule of thumb is 0.003 for every inch of bore diameter.  Racers
often go 0.005 for every inch of bore diameter, to account for additional
carbon buildup (I think).  0.003 on a 3 inch bore (3 inches=75mm, let alone
a 83 or 87mm) would most likely result in broken rings.  This is what I
learned from the list and other resources when I did my emergency re-ringing
patch job last spring.  The paperwork from Deves, the ring manufacturer
supported this belief.

BTW as a plug for Deves, their pre-gapped 83mm rings consistently end gapped
at 0.011 to 0.013 in the unworn section of my bores.  This is the bottom, or
tighter end, of their tolerance range.

Jack