Re: Seat of the pants dyno test for TR6

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: Seat of the pants dyno test for TR6
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 10:21:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: 105671.471@compuserve.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Michael D. Porter wrote:

> Robert M. Lang wrote:
> >
> > Dave M. commented on possibly having a Horsepower competition at a car
> > event...
>
> > then figure out how to award folks by measured output. The problem is - how
> > do you select winners??? I mean - a Spitfire has no chance of building the
> > kind of power you can get with a really tweaked-out TR8 motor. I'm talking
> > Woody Cooper's "Bad 8" here. That sucker's making some serious power!
>
> The standard measurement is in relation to displacement. Simple to
> compute HP per liter. Blown engines have to state maximum boost, and
> that's computed against a volumetric efficiency of 1, so something with
> 10 psi of boost at 2 liters would be 1 + 10/14.7 = 1.68 x 2 liters =
> 3.36 liters, although there would be typically few examples of those.
> But, an 1147cc Spit engine putting out 95 hp would still be making 82 hp
> per liter--_very_ respectable output--and by the same comparison,
> something with a 3.5 liter V-8 would have to put out 289 hp to match it.

Ah, good idea. I think SCCA uses this type of formula for "blown" cars
that run in the D Mod class - enough blower and you're in E Mod... I
think the equiv. is 1.4 times displacement.

As for blowers, there's a guy in our club that's putting a Judson
supercharger on a 4.1 Liter Buick V6 that is stuffed in a TR7. There's no
such thing as too much money or too much power!

Note: Bad 8 is not supercharged to the best of my knowledge. It still
makes plenty-O-powah!

;-)

> Cheers.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |