Re: Re: Argghhhhhhhhhhhh (NLBC)

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Argghhhhhhhhhhhh (NLBC)
From: Andy <amdixon@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:22:3 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Fred's advice is very good but what Fred didn't tell you is that he lives just
(far enough) south of the Capitol Beltway. Around Washington D.C. everyone has
to be
first and let you know they are able to control you. Dave Barry the columnist,
writes that this is the only place he's seen an accident at 1 MPH because
neither
driver would give up right of way. I see similar actions every day. When you're
on a ramp and speed up to match the traffic on the beltway, the traffic already
there speeds up and closes any gaps to keep you from getting on. Nobody uses
turn signals because if you indicate you are going to change lanes the traffic
in
that lane tightens up so you can't move over.  If you leave the recommended
number of car spaces in front of you, the recommended number of cars will pull
in -
then slam on their brakes because "you're tailgating them". And no this doesn't
change when it snows!!
Yesterday there were reports of snow so I left work at 2p.m. to beat the rush.
After the snow started they began showing the traffic "cams". Not a car moving
in
either direction. Two years ago (like Mike) I waited and got stuck in a similar
situation - Three hours for a normally 50 minute trip.
Mike I can certainly sympathise with you and Fred i know your thoughts about
the Beltway.
Andy