Re: electric oil pressure gauges

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: electric oil pressure gauges
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:00:49 EST
Cc: danmas2@worldnet.net.att
In a message dated 98-12-18 18:06:05 EST, peterz@merak.com writes:

> You can see there that there are only two wires to the pressure gauge. I
>  have no explanation for this other than the sender performing the function
>  of the stabilizer. But the sender only has two wires as well.
>
>  If you can explain this diagram (as pertains to the pressure gauge) that's
>  be great. Thanks in advance Dan!

Peter,

I'm afraid I can't explain it either. Perhaps just an error?  The voltmeter
does need to be ahead of the stabilizer, so maybe the draftsman just put the
oil pressure gauge in the wrong place, led astray by the voltmeter?

There is one thing to be aware of, though, when adding electrical meters to
one of our Triumphs. The stabilizer is designed for a specific load. If you
add an extra meter, the voltage output of the stabilizer will be reduced, and
all instruments will give false readings, on the low side.

That's not really  problem, but you do need to be aware of it. The gauges are
not too accurate to begin with, so the precise reading is not important, only
a deviation from the norm. If your temperature gauge, for example, normally
stays in the middle of the scale, and then begins to read either higher or
lower, it's time to investigate. Who knows what the actual temperature is when
the needle is at mid scale?  The possible exception to this is the fuel gauge,
but even that is not so accurate that you can give any thing like a precise
number of gallons of gas left.

One possibility that comes to mind is the nature of the oil pressure itself.
When the engine is idling, both the oil pressure and the output voltage of the
alternator are low. With the engine above idle, the system voltage will be
maintained fairly precisely by the regulator, as long as the alternator is not
overloaded. As long as there is a consistancy, there is no problem - ie, low
voltage and a low oil pressure reading, normal voltage and a normal oil
pressure reading. If you didn't know there was suppossed to be voltage
regulation on the gauges, you would never question the readings. Temperature
and fuel level readings should not change from idle to normal operating rpm,
so voltage must be regulated.

That's a long way of saying "I don't know!"

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74