Nostalgia - Coil Story

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Nostalgia - Coil Story
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:33:06 EST
Time fall '68.  Young hero (YH) back from the war.  ONE family car (TR4), one
wife (georgeous), one 20 mos.son (chip off etc.).  YH decides that Triumph
dealers are too expensive and don't do the job right anyway - so he buys a
shop manual.  A chance to excel in everyone's eyes.

Shortly thereafter -- Timing problems.  TR4 difficult to start.  Out comes the
shop manual and a troubleshooting book.  Follow the diagram.  Check fuel
system - piece of cake. OK.  Check electrical sytem "by the numbers."  But
only have one small multi-meter.  Voltage to coil OK.  Output at plugs seems
OK (multimeter can't read exact voltage because meter does not go that high -
but spark is there at the plugs).  Hmm.  Change points, condenser, rotor arm
-No good.  Change plugs - No Good.  Follow diagram again.  Change wires - No
Good. Keep testing according to "flow chart" diagram in book.  Each time come
to the coil part of the diagram, make decision "coil OK because spark is
coming out of plugs."

 Several weeks of "roll the car down the hill" or "get a buddy to push if no
hill."  TR4 starts after popping the clutch and runs fine once the temp leaves
the peg.  If turned off for a short time it starts back up again just fine.
But leave it for several hours and must do the rolling or pushing drill.
Finally YH gets the message from the young wife about "availability of family
transport." ;-).

Now late Fall/Saturday afternoon.  Having roll started the car - our YH
decides to take a spin to escape the wrath/suggestions etc. about his
mechanical prowess.  Passes a Sears automotive center.  Light in brain comes
on.  Goes in and says "is there some way to check a coil."  Older mechanic
looks at him with THAT look - you know.  Mechanic says "Sure, buddy, take it
out of the car and bring it in."  YH gets his tools from the trunk (I mean he
HAS the necessary tools in there).  Brings in the coil, hands it to the
mechanic.  Mechanic puts it up on the bench and tests it.  Turns to young hero
and says (with a big grin). "Hmm, looks as if you have trouble starting your
car, but once it's started it runs fine as long as it is hot.  But if it cools
down, you have trouble starting it again.  Right?"   Our Young "mechanical"
Hero is flabbergasted!  Mechanic says " your coil is putting out 12,000 volts,
think you need about 20,000 for this baby to be OK.  You need a new coil,
pal."

YH saves the day, buys a new coil (in those days Lucas coils were everywhere),
installs it and goes home a true hero.

  BTW - used to use this example when teaching Logic to college freshman.
"This, class, is an example of faulty logic - 'THE COIL IS OK - I'm getting a
spark.' "

Cheers.
Art Kelly