Re: Will heat hurt?

To: "Steve Rohal" <steverohal@phoenixat.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Will heat hurt?
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:14:16 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
>Listers;
>Need to get driving flange off the shaft to replace the oil seals of inner
>axle. Won't budge. If I heat the flange up to remove it, will this cause
>any damage?
>Your help will be appreciated!
>
>Steve Rohal
>74' TR6  CF 23026 UO

I've messed with this in the past, and ended up taking the axles to a
machine shop to get them separated. Last time out, I tried something new.
Try this approach: with a 4 leg puller attached, nut loosely fitted in
reverse, and the axle still mounted in the diff, tighten down the puller,
tap a few times, and retighten. A few sequences and it'll pop off. Worked
for me.