Re: wire wheel conversion

To: Don Spence <spence@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: wire wheel conversion
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:58:15 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Don Spence wrote:

> If you're feeling cheap, you can save a few bucks by using a hack saw on
> the existing studs, but you will still need the beveled nuts to get the
> hubs and wheels to seat properly.

This is the quickest way to alter the studs on the solid-axle TRs.  On the
IRS cars the rear studs are press fit; on the solid-axles the rear studs
are threaded (7/16 NF) and then peened over once all the way in.

To get them out you need to grind away about 1/16" of material off the
back of the stud and undo them.  Not easy!  I had to do this when I broke
a wheel stud (rusted lug nut).  I burned out 3 tiny grinding wheels
(dremel tool) and used up my entire array of swear words.

The front studs are press fit though.  Not much trouble to have them
pressed out and new ones pressed (pulled) in.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm