RE: Starter rebuilds

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: RE: Starter rebuilds
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:55:12 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Gambony, Jim wrote:

> I didn't know starters had "fun" on cold mornings....  (ok, I know what you
> really meant)

Starters cackle with glee at the prospect of annoying the driver.  They
*do* have fun on cold mornings.

> I was just making the assumption (yes, I know what happens then) that the
> car operated properly once it was started (ie.. timing ok).

Seems to.  Starts real well once hot.

HOWEVER I do have a bit of a rough running engine; I think it's the carbs
(rear carb will not close all the way; varnish or crud inside.  Rebuild is
pending, but it requires some of that "money" stuff)

More puzzlement-- after driving home at Ludicrous Speed yesterday the
engine idled REALLY nice.  Mebbe I blew some carbon out?  Going to have to
test that again ;-)

I haven't tested the vacuum advance yet.  It may be leaking.

Last time I was fiddling with the carbs I sprayed fluid around the
throttle shafts and noticed no difference in running.  When I pull the
carbs to rebuild them I will check them again.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm