RE: Starter rebuilds

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: RE: Starter rebuilds
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:46:21 -0800 (PST)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Gambony, Jim wrote:

Motor is TR4A spec; not sure if starter is from TR4 or 4A though.

> 1)  Battery running low
>       a)  water level low?
>       b)  electrical "leak" somewhere in the system
>       c)  generator/alternator not charging properly (doesn't sound like
> this if the car is "ok" the day after running)

The battery has been replaced.  The charging system (GM alternator
conversion) is OK but I have a hunch it's a little weak.  When I'm next
into the guts of the dashboard I will rewire it with bigger wires &
soldered terminals; crimp-ons aren't good enough.

> 2)  resistance at connections from battery to starter
>       a)  Battery terminal leads clean and tight?
>       b)  connections at solenoid clean and tight?
>       c)  connection at starter clean and tight?

Yes to all three

> 3)  Bad cable (not highly likely, but not impossible)

Only the ground cable has not been properly attended to; HOWEVER jumping
the - terminal to the engine block (I've converted to negative ground)
with jumper cables did not affect starting or charging in any way.

> 4)  Solenoid not making good contact internally.

Solenoid has been replaced by me

> If the problem seems to be the starter, can I suggest a rebuilt unit instead
> of trying to rebuild your unit?  I've rebuilt DC motors since I was 10 yrs
> old (slot cars anyone?) and after pulling apart the starter that came on my
> '73 Spitfire (field lead fried and welded to the casing) I've been more than
> happy to let the professional rebuilders have their money!

Yes, but that's under the assumption that you have money to begin with.
I'm currently a Starving Student (tm) so I don't have 50 bucks to spare
for *anything*.

I have rebuild GM alternators succesfully.  The Lucas units look like
they'll be easier to do as you can access the brushes after the endbell
has been installed (with GM alt's you need to fiddle with paper clips and
bolts)

> Locally I've been getting quotes of $80 USD to rebuild... but last time I
> looked at British Parts Northwest (blatant plug!) they had the Spitfire
> starter at $48 usd + exchange.   Now's the time of year that some of the
> other suppliers have some specials... so it may not be much more painful
> than all the pieces you were going to buy from Vicky B.

I'll probably end up getting the parts thru a dealer (from Moss)... the VB
catalog was the only one I could find at the moment :-)

Plus, it's got prices right beside so I can shop more quicker.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm