Engine liners Q

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine liners Q
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:58:53 +0000
Having removed the liners from the block I have been cleaning up the
outside of each one which were covered in the rusty scale of years of
coolant flowing between them. These liners are not original and are well
within limits. They are also the 83mm size which I believe is now no longer
available. The question is on cleaning the outside surface I noticed some
etching on the surface of the liner and a little bit of what I would call
scaling away of material. It is not deep but it is there. Can I re-use
these liners or is this terminal. Has anyone seen this sort of surface
etching before????

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.