Advice please on TR3 restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Advice please on TR3 restoration
From: Robert Klips <klips.1@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 14:42:05 -0600
Hi. I'm new to the hobby. Bought a 1960 TR3A a year ago in so-so shape. Did
some electrical and suspension and brakes work and it drives pretty well.
Now its in for body work and I want to direct the shop correctly.

The previous owner did a "frame off" rust panel floor and sill replacement
and put it back together without repainting the body. It's red but I want
it to be green. The car will never be a concourse quality show winner, just
a daily driver, yet I don't want it to look bad either. I found an
independent body shop that specializes in street rods, does quality work
but hasn't worked much with these cars. He said he'll smooth out the rough
places using body putty, then paint it with "base coat-clear coat"  for
$1500-$2000. I've decided since I'm spending that much I want it to be as
correctly done as possible while still frame on, so I'm going to remove the
engine to allow the firewall and engine bay to get painted too. Some
questions have arisen I'd greatly appreciate answers to from whomever can
help:

1) Paint fenders, doors, etc.  on the car or off the car? I think off
because it will ensure all surfaces get covered. Body guy thinks that
reassembly without scratching is very difficult and suggests first
assembling the car so that everything fits, then painting it. Would that work?

2) The body putty he proposes will not be to fill in major areas but just
to smooth out spots. Is that OK?

3) The color, British Racing Green, ...how can I make sure I get an
"official" Triumph color? Do I need to buy a can of paint from Moss Motors,
spray once on a sheet of paper, and have the body guy match it? Or is there
some code the paint supplier can follow?

4) Base coat/clear coat...this is a modern paint type. Is it improperly
inauthentic to use this type paint? And will it end up too darned shiny? Is
there a way to control glossiness of finish and should I try to steer him
one way or another?

...Overall I'm trying to acheive a result that, while not necessarily
proze-winning, will not have to be re-done later.

Thanks in advance for your answers to these q's and any other hints and
tips you might have to offer.

Bob Klips
1960 TR3A