What to do with *half* a Surrey Top

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: What to do with *half* a Surrey Top
From: tgoodwin@corp.auspex.com (Tom Goodwin)
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:45:53 -0800
My recently purchased 71 TR6 came with half a surrey top; that is to say
the window section.  It appears the PO managed to destroy/lose the center
section.  I assume this is the same surrey top that was fitted to TR4s.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to find a center section (hard or soft),
or get rid of the rear section and fit a normal convertible top (I've got
the remains of one from another car).  The rounded rear window doesn't
look as good on the TR6 as it does on TR4s.  Any offers to buy  the rear
section, or sell a center section might tip the balance for me (N California
location).  Moss lists center sections and parts, but it looks like around
$500 before I'd be done, and I'm hesitant to spend it without being sure I'd
like the look and fit.

On a related question, how are the rear sections normally attached for the
surrey tops?  This one seems to have been on the car for several paint jobs,
so I've held off investigating too deeply until I decide which way to go.

Tom Goodwin   tgoodwin@auspex.com