Re: Parking Brake Boot (TR2/3/4)

To: epurcel@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Parking Brake Boot (TR2/3/4)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:36:42 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ed, I'm copying this to the list to see if anyone has a "for sure" answer.

> In the subj [parking brake] boot, just behind the lever, there is a channel
that goes
>  from the transmission cover to the floor.  I have been unable to find a
>  reference to this.  I have replaced the cover and there is not an
>  opening for the boot as was in the original.  Any information on the
>  purpose of this will be greatly appreciated.
>
>  Warm Regards,  Ed Purcell

Ed, if I understand you correctly, your replacement rubber boot has an
extension in the rear which would seal into a hole in the lower side of the
transmission tunnel.  I do remember that my original tunnel (which
disintegrated years ago (being cardboard and having been wet many times) did
have a cutout in it at that point.

I don't know for certain what the hole was originally for.  But from the
diagrams of the handbrake lever, which is identical to the TR2/3, I suspect
that the cutout was to enable access to the handbrake pawl if it "hung up".
Since the handbrake config changed (the pawl being no longer located there)
with the TR4A and since the TR4A/5/250 use the same tranny tunnel as the TR4,
I suspect that the repro folks didn't bother (economic reasons) with cutting
that hole for TR4 use.

BTW - the original TR4 tunnel also had a round hole cut in its rear top part
(and a rubber plug for that hole).  My replacement tunnel (and the other repro
ones I have seen) does not have the hole.  The hole was to gain access to the
grease nipples on the front of the driveshft (propshaft for our cousins).  I
recently (at the SE Region VTR convention) purchased the rubber plug from TRF.
I intend to cut a hole there so I can grease the driveshaft when I grease the
car.  Others might want to do the same.  Cheers.

Art Kelly