TR3A Cranking RPM question

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A Cranking RPM question
From: Gbouff@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:48:53 EST
Dear listers,

The car that I picked up last year was partally disassembled and not running.
The speedo showed 42,000 miles.so hopefully the engine won't need much work.
In order to assess the engine's condition, I am attempting to dry start the
engine while it is on the motor stand.

The probIem that I "think" that I am having is low rpms while cranking.
Unfortunately, I have never heard a proper TR2/3/4 turn over, so I don,t know
if the rpm is correct.  Without the plugs in, it is very fast on turns.  With
plugs in and with or without ignition wires on, it slows down considerably, to
the point that it almmost stops.  I am using a fully charged marine battery.
I have disassembled, cleaned, and turned down the armature on the starter,
with no obvious improvement.

Are very low cranking rpms normal, or do I need a new starter?

Any help on diagnosis is appreciated.

Gary Bouffard
TS 58399