Re: Matching Numbers

To: toad <toad@storm.ca>
Subject: Re: Matching Numbers
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:40:16 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
toad wrote:

> Listenati
> To me, matching numbers are most important.  Vehicle number and engine
> number must match assembly data in order to have a vehicle that has
> clean lineage.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> Toad
> '59 Plus 4  Morgan
> '57 Plus 4  Morgan
> '33 Super Sport Morgan  (Three Wheeler) numbers don't match but when you
> are nearly 67 years old you can't be criticized for indiscretions.

I would agree it's nice & proper for them to match, but, 40 years and how
many miles, owners & engine overhauls & swaps have transpired down the
road. When you are doing a frame-up resto. how do you have any proof of
what the engine number is in that car = none =, you can only go by what
ever the last person stamped on the block, if he or she did stamp the
block, also how many rebuilt engines did "Standard", supply to the
dealers/owners over the years. Way back when, Ford Motor co. use to
manufacture 400,000 rebuilt engines per year, and all with motor numbers
(but matching). Recently a Bugati Royale was duplicated and entered in a
show overseas, even though none were known to exist with these numbers,
but it was perfect in everyway, todays technology can and does create any
& everything to the same exacting standards as 100 years ago. Sorry to
make a long tale of this, but the point is you can only verify what it
was, not what it is now.