Re: Inner Ball Joint Housing

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Inner Ball Joint Housing
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:40:59 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< I started out just wanting to replace the driver's side rubber gaiter on
the
 steering rack beacuae it was badly deteriorated. Most of the front suspension
 on both sides is now on the floor of the garage and there's no end in sight.
 Now, having removed the tie rod end and the boot from the driver's side, I
 find that the inner ball joint is totally immobilized in the socket/housing.
 Is this now a matter of removing the housing and, if so, is this done by just
 unscrewing the large hex (1"?) where the ball sits? The reason I ask is that
 put a wrench on it but putting pressure on it makes the rack itself twist or
 turn.
 What is the proper procedure for removing the inner ball joint without
harming
 the rest of the steering?

Jim
I don't get it. Why do you want to remove the tie rod at all? All you need to
do is slip on the new rubber bellows and refit the clips.

Ken Nuelle