Re: Hard Clutch

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hard Clutch
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:30:44 EST

<< As I recall, back in the good old days when my TR6 was new, there were 2
 clutches that were oem on TR6's. One was supplied by Laycock and the other
 by Borg and Beck. There used to be advisories about not mixing components
 of the 2 clutch manufacturers. My TR6 came with a Laycock, and had a
 comparatively light pedal. When it wore out, I replaced it with another
 Laycock, which felt the same as the first. Several of my friends' TR6's had
 a much harder pedal, and we figured they must have had the Borg and Beck
 clutch. The TR4A uses essentially the same clutch, perhaps a previous owner
 fitted the B and B unit, and that is why the pedal feels heavy to you.

 Irv Korey >>

Hi,

Borg & Beck must have more than one pressure plate design, or maybe they've
designed a new one.  My new (TR6) clutch that I purchased a few months ago, is
a B&B, and very easy to actuate, it replaced an older B&B that was very heavy.
The new pressure plate has a hinged spring design, and the older one has a
solid spring design.  The clutch material surface design is different too.

Scott Helms
'57 BN4
'76 TR6
http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/index.html