Re: TR6 clunk

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 clunk
From: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:41:18 -0600
Steve,

I am presently in the middle of fixing my "clunk" problem.
I replaced the rear axle u-joints to no avail. I was reluctant
to change the main drive shaft u-joints because i would have
to remove the differential to do it. But the clunk continued.

I finally broke down and examined the differential mounts.
The rubber bushings were cracked and worn, and did not
appear to be providing any support. The mounts themselves
did not show any visible cracks or damage, so i began the
process.

Upon removing the differential (alone i might add, its
much easier with a partner). I discovered a visible crack
in the right front mount running the entire width of the
flat surface that the rubber bushing butts up against. I
also noticed the the recess in the corresponding front
differential mounting plate was a shiny bare metal color.
This is a pretty good indication of wear caused by the
rotation of the plate upward into the conical shaped
rubber bushing. The resulting "slap" of this plate
into the mount causes the clunk.Great, now i had to
repair this. So iwelded the reinforcements (from TRF)
and primed and painted the welds to prevent rust.

Now I am having the u-joints in the drive shaft replaced
and the shaft balanced. I can send you photos of the crack
and  progress so far. I plan on replacing the OEM mounts
with polyurethane mounts from British Parts Northwest.

I guess it is better to fix it now before the frame becomes
involved.

Bottom line is i sincerely hope this is not your problem.
But i have come to understand that this is a fairly common
problem with the TR6.

Best of luck!
Jack 74 TR6 cf23352