Re: The Datsun 510 Diff

To: Edgar Deighton <deightonea@NthShore.govt.nz>
Subject: Re: The Datsun 510 Diff
From: Bill and Sal Birney <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:31:01 +1100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>From what I am reading there are two types of Datsun diff. 1 with
>flanges 1 with yolks but the chances are I wont find one with Flanges.

I have seen the 'flange' type inner shafts on others triumph's, but only
ever been able to get the 180B type yoked ones? 1600 diffs are getting hard
to come by now over here.

>Once I have my diff I need to make up a carrier / adapter to hold the
>diff and make it fit the standard Triumph mounting points. This carrier
>will also have a bracket to mount the spring.

That's right, since you already have a chassis sitting there, making up the
carrier is easier.

>I then unbolt the Diff Output shafts yolks and make up adapters to fit
>the Triumph Drive shafts.

Correct, you may be able to get the output flanges from a wrecker?

>If I am happy to run with the rotoflex this is all I have to do ?

You will need the adapters for bolt patterns, and to get the flange faces
at the correct offset from the centreline, the datsun diff is asymetrical
so one of the adapters is thicker than the other.

>Am I right in thinking the 4wd Subaru rear diff also fits and so a LSD
>is available ? Does this fit into the Datsun Casing or do I need a
>different carrier / adapter to hold the diff and make it fit the
>standard Triumph mounting points.

No need to play with casings, the two diffs are identical (except for more
modern seals on the subaru unit), Subaru went looking for a diff when they
first decided to go to 4wd the datsun unit was available, and they've never
changed as it does the job very well. Just remove the splined output shafts
and insert the ones you want to use.

>Do you know of anyone who makes a Kit or has pictures or drawings of the
>setup.

'Fraid not. However it's not that hard (put a datsun diff and triumph one
side by side and then make the carrier up to make the datsun fit in the
right place)

Good luck.

Bill and Sal Birney
Melbourne, Australia