TR6 heads

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'sugar@holly.colostate.edu'" <sugar@holly.colostate.edu>
Subject: TR6 heads
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:43:02 -0700
Aaron wrote:
>It depends on what you want to do.  JE, Weisco and Cosworth make domed
>pistons, and they are available from different sources, machined to correct
>compression ratios.  If you have specific  questions I'll gladly answer
them.

Are all of these forged pistons? From what I have heard forged pistons have
a higher thermal expansion coefficient than cast pistons. As a result you
must have more clearance between the piston and the cylinder when cold. Is
this true and does it result in piston slap (skirts hitting the cylinder
when cold)?

Also aren't forged pistons rather costly???

Based on what little I know the compression ratio was dropped in 1972 and
again in 1974 to allow the engine to pass the more stringent NOx emissions
standards. The compression ratio was dropped by simply increasing the
thickness of the gasket side of the casting. Why not uncorrect the problem
by just shaving the head.

Still confused and standing (on my head)in the odds and ends corner
Lee Janssen
Where did the Sun go Denver CO