RE: TR6 - Raising Compression

To: "'Aaron Johnson'" <sugar@holly.colostate.edu>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 - Raising Compression
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:30:24 -0600
>>If you use the pistons to make the compression ration, you can
increase or decrease the ratio fairly easy, while still leaving room to
true the head. <<

Any material you remove from the head will still raise compression.  Unless you
plan to replace pistons at the same time, you're still looking for a
replacement head, just like the guy who milled the head.

>>The other reason is that you should also use a higher grade
of piston when increasing the compression<<

I run 10:1 compression, just like the factory cars did in Britain, using the
same pistons they used.  That seems good enough for me.  I certainly haven't
had any problems with my pistons.

It looks to me like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  I wasn't replacing
pistons for other reasons such as overboring the block, in fact I haven't
touched the bottom end yet, but that's changing as I write.  Kas Kastner
recommended milling the head, and I can't think of a better endorsement.  Domed
pistons may have other advantages I'm unaware of, but I've never even seen a
set and I imagine they are expensive (as are most things hi-performance for a
TR-6).

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra Mystic #1345 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (highly modified)
'59 Triumph 10 Sedan (in boxes)