Re: How to ground the steering wheel?

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: How to ground the steering wheel?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:48:24 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, John Middlesworth wrote:

> On my TR4A (negative earth) I find that the steering column is poorly
> grounded, making the horn button work only occasionally.  When I checked
> the steering rod coming out of the rack and pinion, I found that the
> problem begins there--lots of resistance.  (Don't worry, all the grounding
> wires are in place at the rubber couplings.)  How then is the steering
> wheel properly grounded?

On my car I found it better to attach a brush made out of spring steel
above the uppermost rubber coupling.  My horn was intermittent; I had
retrofitted a horn relay and I think the problem was high resistance not
letting enough trace current to activate the relay.

It worked when I had a spot-inspection by the DMV, so I'm happy :-)

Spring steel of the type I used is available in the form of strapping.
The post office should have piles of it, as should hardware stores and
anybody else that receives bundles of "stuff" wrapped up with steel strap.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm