TR6 update (Oil Pressure)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 update (Oil Pressure)
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:50:46 EST
Dear listers;

Well, I filled engine with fresh 20/50 GTX and new oil filter, started it up
and :( :( :( I still had low oil pressure even cold the gage hesitated after
engine started, and then went up to only 25psi :(.
I warmed up the engine and the pressure was still 25 psi.
I thought that was strange, because the gage use to reach 50-60psi when cold,
and then go down to 25psi when warm.
I was going to check the pressure with another gage connected directly to the
engine, to confirm the dash gage reading, but as I revved the engine (2000rpm
or more), I am hearing what sounds like a bearing slap.
So I guess I am going back under the car and pulling the oil pan to replace
the big end and main bearings, as well as the thrust washers (even though the
crank shaft freeplay was only .008-.009").
Does anyone know of a good site or can someone refer me to a good book on TR6
engine bearing replacement (my first attempt).
I plan on buying (or Santa will bring me) a Bentley workshop manual for
Christmas ($60.00).
I already have the Haynes Manual, but I heard it is good to have both. Is the
Bentley Manual a better reference for the bearing job?

Thanks,
Wayne from Massachusetts
1973 TR6