TR6 won't start

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 won't start
From: ERic Hammer <hammers@pa.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 07:47:41 -0500
Well the head finally came off, (rope worked well).  Gasket is in place,
head back on, etc.  Now the darned thing won't run.

The car will run if I spray starting fluid directly into the carbs.  Despite
the smoke it runs suprisingly steady that way.  However, as soon as I try to
give it even the smallest amount of gas it bucks and back fires through the
carb, primarily the front one.

In a perhaps related problem the ring that seals the brass knob on the
bottom of the rear carb is allowing gas to leak.  I marked the vacuum lines
etc on removal but oil & dirt has obscured a few of the #s so I'm not 100%
sure all of the lines are in the right place.  I removed the push rods
carefuly marked and replaced them. I scraped the carbon off the head and
pistons but did not disassemble the head, is it possible that it is out of
time (did nothing to the distributor of cam)?

This is most disturbing as yesterday was spent head scratching while the sun
shone and the temp got into the 60s, perhaps for the last time this season.
Does anyone have any idea what to do???

Steve Hammer
75 TR6