Spit Main Bearings

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit Main Bearings
From: Eric Straub <ericst@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 23:44:39 -0800
I finally started the rebuild on my engine (67 Spitfire Mk 2). I put the new
standard size main bearings in the block and set the crankshaft in & it
doesn't want to turn very easy, even without the caps on (eg just setting
the crankshaft on top of the top bearings in the block).  I'm wondering if
perhaps I got sent the wrong size bearings (I ordered the standard size ones
through VB a couple of years ago - I double-checked the part # on the box
and they are the right part #). The crankshaft itself is in great shape (I
had it checked out & the journals polished; everything appeared fine). I
tried putting the caps on with bearings in the caps. This just made the
crankshaft very hard to run (as in I couldn't turn it).

Ideas? I still have the old bearings - should they be the same thickness as
the new ones (I'm haven't checked that yet).

Eric.
Restoring '67 Mk 2 spitfire