Re: trailers... and show winners

To: jim.gambony@eds.com, vafred@erols.com
Subject: Re: trailers... and show winners
From: TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 01:23:40 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hey List-

I have been following this thread with some interest.

I have restored a TR3B and TR6 and shown them at a national level. Before
restoring those cars, I was involved in the Jaguar Driver's Club showing an
XKE in the Driven Class. I enjoy both marques, but the differences in showing
them is telling.

My XKE is a low milage original car that is substantially unrestored. JDC has
2 classes- Concours and Driven. The rules are that to be in the Driven class,
one must actually drive the car to the show, regardless of how far that drive
may be.

The Concours cars need not be driven at all. For some, it is a struggle to
make it from the trailer to the show field. Some conflict has resulted from
cars that claim to be driven to the shows and may actually have a trailer
stowed a few miles away. It has become difficult to distinguish the Concours
cars from the Driven cars at the JDC events.

All of this to say, I have been on both sides of the "trailer" issue and
believe VTR has struck a good medium. In VTR, all cars must be driven and that
alone is a good difference between VTR and JDC. I, for one, enjoy the Concours
aspect of showing at VTR. I bring my cars in an enclosed trailer. If I want to
be competitive on a national basis, it would be difficult, but not impossible,
to drive the car many miles to a national show.

My only complaint is that VTR has limited the opportunities for some to win
awards by limiting the "Peoples' Choice" awards to only a few. VTR has many
different opportunities for many different types of enthusiasts. If VTR would
bring back more "Peoples' Choice" awards, the division caused by
Concours/People Choice differences may be reduced. There is room in VTR for
people like me who enjoy preparing a car and bringing it in a trailer to the
national show, as well as those who enjoy driving a week each way in their car
(Ken Streeter) to get to the show. Losing that diversity would be a shame.

Just a thought.

Regards-

Steve Thornton
Bowling Green, KY