RE: trailers... and show winners

To: "'fred thomas'" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: RE: trailers... and show winners
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:38:35 -0600 charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Fred,

>From the VTR website    (http://www.vtr.org/rules/concours.html)  here is an
excerpt of the concours rules:

     2.1 SENIOR CLASS: Any car which has won one (1) First Place Award in
Concours (Not Participants Choice) MAY enter Senior Class. After
     two (2) First Place Awards he/she MUST enter Senior Class. Senior Class
will be judged against the score sheet only. A score of 350 points or
     better is required to receive the Senior Award. After winning a Senior
Award the car must be entered in Preservation Class if the owner wishes to
     pursue Concours. There can be any number of Senior Awards at any
convention.

          2.1.1 PRESERVATION AWARD: If the owner wishes to pursue concours
after having obtained one Senior Award, the car shall be
          entered for a Preservation Award. The scoring shall be the same as
for Senior except that a score of 365 points shall be required for the
          awarding of a Preservation Award. Preservation Award cars must be
preregistered. There shall be no limit to the number of Preservation
          Awards that a given automobile may win.

As you can see, the "finished" restorations that are tops in their class are
moved into Senior class after no more than two first place awards in the
regular class.  I'm not going to say that all the Senior class and
Preservation Award cars are trailer queens as I know of several that are
DRIVEN to the event and driven during the event.

And VTR does have the requirement that all participants in the National
Concours must also be driven in at least one event.  Trust me, that rule is
enforced.

As tough as it is to face trailer queens when you're trying to get your car
ready for a local show, some of the "driven to the show" people are as bad
or worse in terms of being pleasant to be around (or not).  I've seen some
setups where the participants actually drive the car to the convention, and
then spend all their spare time polishing/washing/cleaning/etc.  To the
point where you can't walk past their setup without tripping on the hoses or
supplies.  And heaven help you if you don't like their inspirational music!

Separating the cars into trailered/driven just means that there will be some
who mis-represent their trailered cars as having been driven to the show.
How can that rule be truly enforced?

Anyway, try to make one of the VTR conventions, either Regional or National.
You'll be pleased you did.

Jim