Re: bad tire experience

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: bad tire experience
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 09:06:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bowen, Patrick A. RP2 wrote:

> Yes you are right and keep arguing.  Most dry rot is caused by rubber being
> stored where it is excessively wet (i.e. half covered over with mud in a
> field) or by UV rays, since your car is stored in neither place this really
> shouldn't be a problem - argue away, and I hope it turns out well
>
> Patrick
>
> At 12:02 PM 10/31/98 -0600, KEVIN EDDINS wrote:
> >I purchased a set of Goodyear Regattas from Kmart two years ago.  My
> >car gets driven a couple of times a week as it has for the last five or so
> >years.  The two rear tires are displaying a huge case of dry rot on the
> >inside around the rim.  From a distance it looks like huge slits in the tire.
> >
> >Anyway, I brought the tires back with 4-5K miles on them and they
> >refused to replace the tires!  The guy said that is what I get for not
> >driving the car more, and the best he can do is offer me a 25% discount.
> >
> >Boy am I peaved.  My car has been in a carport and driven weekly and I
> >get this crap from them.  I have road hazard and they are 65K mile tires.
> >
> >I will be talking to the managers boss on Monday to try to sort this thing
> >out and hopefully be the end of it.  If not I might make due with a handy
> >road hazard to get them replaced.
> >
> >Am I right to be totally angry at this and think it is complete stupidity.
> >
> >Kevin Eddins
> >
> Patrick Bowen
> '79 Spitfire
> Jacksonville FL

How much you drive your car has nothing to do with dry rot, being stored
outside has nothing to do with dry rot, all cars are driven outside, in
all types of weather, your average housewife may only drive the car once
a week, it makes no difference how the dry rot got there, it is there and
thats what counts. Coker Antique Tire Co. in Tenn. gives a liftime tread
wear warranty against defects in workmanship & "MATERIAL", can you just
imagine how much a Duesenburg or Bugatti is driven, yet dry rot or radial
cracking is a defect in "Material", remember what you are dealing with,
he is just doing his job (badly), but do not let up with the store
manger, then the "Home Office", and then the local city govt. "consumer
Affairs Dept", it will and can be done, just stand-up and keep "COOL",
don't lose your temper and always say thanks, but continue to kick ass as
you go, you will "WIN", been there done that.