Re: TR6 - Alternator Output

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 - Alternator Output
From: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:43:41 +0000
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 06:09:57 GMT, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
>A much simpler (and quite customary) approach to increasing poor
>alternator output is to mount a silicon diode in series with the
>regulator, increasing the charging voltage by 0.7 volts. Just make
sure it
>doesn't bring the charging voltage sans load too high, though.
>
>Ensuring first that the brushes are OK goes without saying - they
do not
>last particularily long on the Lucas unit, but are cheap and easy to
>replace.
>
>Egil
Thanks for the analysis Egil.  Just wondering, is there
a practical limit to the current draw from the Lucas unit?
I assume there is some point where overheating / insulation
failure may occur?  Or maybe field saturation (if there is
such a thing, it's been many years since I studied generators)?

scott s.