RE: Metal prep

To: "'Windoseat@aol.com'" <Windoseat@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Metal prep
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:45:13 -0500
Greg Wolf wrote:

> I purchased some liquid metal prep from an auto paint supply place and
mixed
> it with water according to the directions on the bottle. When applied
it seems
> to cause the part to rust instantly! Has anyone had an experience like
this?
> I'm going to change the proportions an see if that has a positive
affect.

Many kinds of "metal prep" are etchants, which produce a chemical
reaction with the metal surface. In some cases, an oxide is formed which
may _look_ like rust, but the purpose is to provide "tooth" for the
paint to adhere to.

If the metal prep you bought actually produces rust (FeO2?), the paint
will stick fine . . . but the rust will continue to grow and eventually
break through the paint.

Jim Hill
Madison WI