PI cam

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: PI cam
From: Kenneth_Brown@dot.ca.gov
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:07:42 -0700
Dave,

I currently have a stock TR 5 150 hp cam that has a couple of worn lobes.
As such it will require replacement or a suitable regrind. The question I
would like ask is whether to go with  stock or take advantage of the new
technology and try a different grind. I'm not "Joe Racer " so I don't need
anything exotic .

 I know when Practical Classics magazine rebuilt their $$$$ TR 6 they went
with a  Piper 270 cam (270 dur, 415 lift) in what I believe was attempt to
smooth out some of the lumpy idle of the stock  65 35 cam. British Parts
Northwest claims that the Piper cam idles better and puts out more HP than
the PI cam but I was hoping for some additional opinions, hopefully from
someone across the pond who is more familiar with the PI cars. To top it
off I would like to know what effect the cam will have on the metering unit
since it is so dependent on vacuum  created by the cam.

Ken
TR 5, ex rust bucket  imported from Belgium in 1985