Re: Geezer and Buffy hit the road

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Geezer and Buffy hit the road
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 10:20:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Coday Family wrote:

> It's been interesting to hear all the rationales for the aggressive
> driving, excessive use of speed on the public thorough fares.  Too
> bad people don't open up special places where drivers that need the
> testosterone rush can open up the throttle and have that rush without
> putting Geezer, Buffy and our kids in danger.  WAIT A MINUTE, what
> about race tracks?  Do they still have those anywhere?

Yeah, we've got two around here.  They're stinky, hot, and go round in
circles.  That's no fun ;-)

They also opened up a new stretch of highway (I haven't visited it yet)-
speed limit 120K (80mph)  Not what I would call interesting driving, but
you can go "fast"...

I am lucky(?) to live in a rural area.  It is 80k limit for a lot of my
commute to Victoria (province's capital)- the other benifit is because the
capital is so close, the roads get lots of attention- wouldn't want those
politicians to get stuck in traffic, right?

There was recently 2 big highway upgrades on the road to Victoria.  And we
had no traffic problems like Vancouver does.  (15 minute wait in work rush
was average)

There's also several places out where I am to really "open it up"- Doogey
flats(sp), which is a dumb idea because the cops like to roost in the
middle of it with the laser gun; Blueberry flats, where my TR was rumored
to be caught at 134 MPH; and the "Jordan River Drag Strip", which is 1/4
mile of downhill straightaway ;-)

I've found that the best drivers tend to be on the road for the work
commute.  The stupid ones surface at noon or so, and esp. the weekends.
Something I wish people would remember is that not all 4-lane roads are
highways- in other words, "slow traffic keep right" does NOT apply!
There's a stretch of road where 2 roads join, then seperate... it's
4-lane, and the limit is 50k (30m)-- people like to go screaming through
there like their hair's on fire.  I dunno.

I spend a lot of my time driving... sorry about the windy message ;-)
-Malcolm
'62 TR4 (fixer)
'81 Chevette (lame)