killer bugs!! (was re: Spitfire horsepower)

To: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Subject: killer bugs!! (was re: Spitfire horsepower)
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:06:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: IPM Return Requested <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, William Elliott wrote:

> Never underestimate an "old VW Superbeetle".  They're just
> Porsches in training pants.  Stock, they're not slow.... and how
> many are still stock?  I've driven Beetles that will give a
> Mustang GT a run for its money.  Finally, LBC's weren't
> designed to win drag races.

There's an ugly old beetle in Victoria (used to be here, anyway)- no
expensive paint, sat a little lopsided, that could blow away just about
ANY V8-powered 'murikan "muscle" car.

Friend-o-mine got embarrased TWICE (in succession) by this car- he was in
a slightly modified '65 Rustang.

Rumor has it that the bug had a tuned-up 1600 engine, and had been
lightened a bit to give it more off-the-mark jump.

Also don't forget that the Porche pancake-six can be stuffed into a bug
without much difficulty... as can the 2.1L (?) four out of the minibus-
add a hot cam and big carbs, maybe a header, and you've got liftoff.

>  << How much horsepower could I reasonably
> expect to gain for $500.00 to $1000.00 Reliability also.>>
>
> Completely dependent on what kinds of emission controls
> you have to meet.  Improved carb(s), a bump in
> compression and cam, and a good exhaust should
> help a lot. Still won't win a lot of drag races, though.
> "Ain't no substitute for cubic inches."

Yeah, you should probably be able to find a twin carb setup (SU!!), a
header, and a cam for less that $1000.  Esp. if you can find used ones.

-Malcolm