Spedo Calabrations

To: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Subject: Spedo Calabrations
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:21:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    Scott> For tires, I am
    Scott> actually running 215/70-15's, ~1% OVERsize.  I
    Scott> assume the diff has not been replaced, something I
    Scott> can check, but a change to 3.45 gears cannot
    Scott> account for this large difference.

    Scott>      Can anyone shed some light on the
    Scott> situation????  I am willing to recal the spedo, and
    Scott> can swap in a known working backup, but I don't
    Scott> understand the situation.  Given the LARGE tire
    Scott> size on the '6 compared with all of the TR models,
    Scott> no change in gearing can counteract the tire
    Scott> diameter gain to create an undersize situation.

I'm running 195/60-15's on my TR-4 and it reads about 9% high.
That's about what I'd expect for such an undersized tire, but
I had them laying around and I'm cheap.  The TR-6 has the same
base tire size as the '4, but a different width (and I'm
running early TR-6 rims) but the other bits in the equation
are the speedo (Mine is I think 1192 revs/mile) or the drive
gear on the tranny (I don't know haven't looked at it in
years).
                                                        -MM