Re: Tach befudlement

To: jaltman@altlaw.com
Subject: Re: Tach befudlement
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 22:20:04 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim:

First let me state the following disclaimer: "I am not an
expert on tachometers nor Smith gauges!"  With that said...

I recently had my speedometer rebuilt because it had locked up on me.
When talking with the local shop that repaired it, a few ponits
came out. First, even same make gauges can't be intermixed
when it comes to the precission parts such as springs. They must
be exact and if anything goes wrong it will through off the
accuracy of the gauge. Second, there are magnets which are
vital to setting the correct calibration to produce an
accurate reading with the speedo.

When I was having problems with mine, I tried replacing the
cable, checking the gears, etc. The shop was able to correct
the problem even though they couldn't get the parts needed.

My point is that it may be an internal setting that needs the
expertise of a Speedo Shop to take a look (they also work on tachs).

Just my .02 worth.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6