TR3 Stainless Steel/Bronze Silentbloc bushings

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Stainless Steel/Bronze Silentbloc bushings
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:28:14
The final chapter:

As y'all are aware, I recently installed Stainless Steel/Bronze silentbloc
bushings.  I made an error or two, which cost me some time and a little
money, but overall the results are excellent.

I pressed the Bronze bushing into the center link myself, using a 4 inch
vice.  This was OK, but I used the narrow face of the vice directly on the
Bronze bushing.  This put excessive force on a narrow portion of the
bushing instead of the full bushing face.  As a result, I ovalled both
bushings slightly at the pressed end, so the Stainless Steel pin wouldn't
fit.  This was repaired, reamed and honed, by a machine shop, Crowe's Head
Shop, (automotive heads, not drugs) in Rockaway, NJ, for $10.  No big deal.

BTW - I left the bushings in the freezer for a while before installing them
to "shrink" them slightly and make the installation a little easier.

I assembled the linkages piece by piece to check for binding.  Everything
bolted up fine, but, as I was aware, my steering box has some play in it
and needs to be rebuilt (this winter.)  I also had one bent inner tie-end,
so replaced that too. I managed to damage the other inner tie-end while
removing it, so I had to replace them both.

Driving:

I only have one word to describe the front end:  Tight

I waited until after getting a professional alignment to really push it,
but the turn-in and steering response is significantly improved.  Keep in
mind that although I inspected the old silentblocs last winter and thought
they were in good shape, I am comparing the my impressions of the SS/Bronze
bushings to older rubber/steel ones.  That said, I'd still recommend
spending the extra $40+ to upgrade to these Bronze and Stainless steel
bushings, instead of the steel and rubber ones.  Also, they won't degrade
much, if at all, over time.

I bought mine from BFE (British Frame and Engine) but I know they are also
available from Revington TR.

Thanks to everyone for their help in getting my TR back on the road.  I'll
have my questions about the steering box rebuild to ask in a few months.

Jack