Gear oil seal

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Gear oil seal
From: Troy Johnson <clancy@softdisk.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:16:40 -0700
Hello again,

This is me (the guy that thought BMW stood for British motor works).
When i purchased my 78 Spit 1500, i also purchased a spare transmission
for a hundred bucks. The current trans. probably has a "shot" syncro
ring. It grinds a slight bit when going into 2nd or when downshifting to
2nd. Otherwise, it works fine......it does leak a bit of gear oil ( a
couple of tablespoons each time i park it). In light of the leak, i
decided to change all the gaskets and seals on the spare transmission
and trade them out. When i got to looking for the forward seal (closest
to the engine), i could not find one. I was comparing the pictures in
the Haynes manual with what was before me.......I then took the thing to
the local Brit mechanic to point out to me what i was missing. When he
saw it he said "It has no forward seal. It has spiral grooves cut into
the casing that throws or slings the oil back preventing it from leaking
out." He proceeded to say, if the grooves get stopped up with gunk, you
will experience a leak. I haven't taken the present transmission off, so
i'm not sure if it has this same marvelous engineering application.
Question: Were all 78 transmissions (no O.D.) designed this way?