Should a '73 TR6 Have Bumper Overriders???

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Should a '73 TR6 Have Bumper Overriders???
From: "Richard A. Radasch" <miles@anet-stl.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:36:27 -0500

About six weeks ago, after waiting patiently for 20 years, I bought a TR6.
It's beautiful, runs well, and has mostly minor problems that I, as a total
amateur, feel I can deal with.  Good things come to those who wait.  But I have
an authenticity question.

The car is a 1973 model, built in January of 1973, but it has the rubber bumper
overriders.  The previous owner told me another PO had added them to the car
because he liked them.  It was my understanding that the overriders didn't come
along until 1974.  Many sources have confirmed this in print.

But recently I've seen several photos in books with "1973 TR6" as the caption
with the overriders?!?!  Most convincing was a Triumph sales brochure I saw on
eBay for a 1973 TR6 sporting the overriders.

I checked "The Original TR" by Bill Piggott  which shows the overriders being
added after CF 27001.  My car is CF 4981 U, but here the confusion deepens.
"The Original TR" states that first car build in 1973 was CF 4029 U, and it was
built on 2/1/1973.  How can I have CF 4981 U built in January! of that year??

Your expertise would be appreciated.

Richard Radasch
St. Louis, MO
1973 TR6