Re: Re. Proper oil for O/D gearbox.

To: David Hill <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re. Proper oil for O/D gearbox.
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 22:34:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
David;
Yep, it's your basic 20w50- not unlike GTX. The API-SF designation means it was
formulated for vehicles built about 3 years ago.    The new spec for motor oil
is designated SH, but these oils are meant for engines built in the 1997,8,9
model year.  The oil producers get their specs  from the vehicle manufacturers
who design an oil to do certain things. Todays vehicles need a lot of extra
cooling ability because they run at higher internal temperatures. Hence, the new
specs for 5w30 oil in newer cars- it dissipates heat faster than say a 10w40 or
a 20w50. There is even talk of formulating a 0w30 oil for upcoming models. Wow!
Talk about technology. That stuff would have the consistency of  a real light
sewing machine oil. Can you imagine how your LBC would leak with that stuff in
it?
None for me thanks.
Oh and by the way, that 20w50 with the SF designation is in fact a modern
detergent oil. I have not seen a 20w50 that is non-detergent. The only thing you
would want to put non-detergent oil in is some old lawn mower or (with apologies
to Bruce Clough) maybe your 1960 Buick engine.
 Of course, if this is a gearbox we're talking about it shouldn't matter what
oil you're using. You don't need detergents in a gearbox.

Jeff (Oil magnet)  Johnson
'1976 TR6
fed a steady diet of GTX 20w50 ( when I'm not experimenting w/ synthetics)