Re: TR6 Steering rack re-installation

To: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Steering rack re-installation
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:44:08 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Rodney Orr wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions on how best to reinstall my steering rack?
> I'm wondering about setting the length of the tie rods - do I do this
> before or after getting the rack back onto the car?  At least, I want to be
> able to drive it to the shop for an alignment.

I hate to say this, but the method I was taught was to count how many
turns required to removed the tie-rods, write it down, and "do them up"
the same amount on re-assembly.

However you should be able to get the alignment "pretty close" by sitting
down with some chalk and yard sticks and measuring tapes.  You can get the
angles of toe required and set it as close as possible at home, and it
will make the alignment guys happy for it.

This isn't something I've ever done... my Dad did it on one of his beastly
cars (either the Cortina or the Vauxhall), got it nearly spot-on.  I can
get more anecdotes on the weekend ;-)

-Malcolm