Re: Crankcase pressure

To: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Crankcase pressure
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:40:29 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 20:34 27/04/98 -0700, you wrote:

>I have similar config:  74 Fed 1500 w/9:1 and cam in MKII.  I had lots
>of pressure when the rebuild was new.  It has subsided some.  But I
>think the problem is related to the undersized vent in the Rocker
>cover.  A good racing breather would be better, but I have not tried it
>yet.

It would have to be extremely restrictive. The amount of oily vapour that
comes out of mine is very small. If there's so little flow rate, there
should be hardly any back pressure.

But, then, who knows what funny arrangement is in there. Is it possible that
the thing was designed with a severe restriction, so that with the emission
controls in place, the sucking from the carbs/manifold would not create a
vacuum in the crankcase?

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia