Re: TR3/4 Exhaust manifold studs

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: TR3/4 Exhaust manifold studs
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:46:02 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Jack,

The studs are threaded in, are available at your local auto parts store and
can be removed without drilling them out.  Assuming the manifold has been
removed from the car, heat the area around the stud cherry red with an
acetylene torch. I use a number 5 tip. While it's still hot,  grab it with a
vise grip and turn. If the stud has been sheared off, build it up by welding
material onto it and then, when there's enough material to grip, proceed as
above. I've used this method for 25 years and only lost one patient so far.
No need to hack up a perfectly good manifold.

Regards,

FOG 1