Re: Wheel ID?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Wheel ID?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 20:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Malcolm Walker wrote:
>
> > my TR4 has wheels (steel) with PATT No. 456866 stamped on one of the flats
> > beside the hub-cap stud.
> >
> > Does this tell me anything?  I'm trying to obtain the width.  I won't be
> > able to get the tire off until next week sometime when I can stop by at
> > the tire shop.
>
> ISTR most of these wheels were 4.5" width.

Uh oh... I thought the TR4 used 4" wheels, and wire-wheels are 4.5".  Mine
are steel (disc) wheels.  What puzzles me is that the spare rim doesn't
have a pattern # stamped on it, only the "S".

I guess I should just go to the tire guy and have him peel a tire off

> > There is also an "S" in a diamond on another flat spot but I'm figuring
> > this means "Standard".
>
> Close, but no cigar. It stands for Sankey, the OTHER company (besides
> Dunlop) that made wheels for Triumph (as well as some of the chassis
> frames, etc.)

Ah!  More trivia :-)

That explains why it looks nothing like the Standard logo too :-)

-Malcolm